Wednesday, September 19, 2012

THE BOOK WAITRESS, by Deena Remiel

Before I feature this week's author, I wanted to briefly talk about a guest post I did for Caris Roane's Wicked Writing Skills blog about revision, which can be viewed here. I've really been grappling with revisions lately, and not many writers talk about it, so I thought I'd compile some things I've learned. So there's that.

But on to Deena Remiel, who I was fortunate enough to meet at some conferences last spring. Deena writes paranormal romance and poetry, and her newest book is THE BOOK WAITRESS, which debuted August 24 and is available on the Kindle. What I love about this book is the protagonist is a librarian! Woo hoo!

Camille Dutton learned early in life Satan was not to be trifled with. Escaping his evil clutches as a child, he's come back with a vengeance for her now.
Derek Galloway's inquisitive nature has led him to be an award-winning investigative reporter and straight into the path of pure evil.

When a child vanishes from a sleepy island town, Camille, its subdued librarian, becomes embroiled in Derek's investigation. A satanic cult has plans for the child, while Satan has plans for Camille and the rest of the world. Amidst evil of the most supernatural and human kind, Derek and Camille find a shred of light and goodness in the form of their budding relationship.

First in the Book Waitress Series, the portal between Hell and Earth will be torn asunder, and it will take everything Camille and Derek have and then some to close it. Satan won't go down easy, but nothing worth everything comes without a price.

Here are Deena's answers to my questions:

Your website bio states that you are a member of RWA National and Desert Rose RWA. How has your involvement in these organizations benefited your career and can you tell us more about your journey as a writer?
Being a part of a writer's group accomplishes many things. First, it keeps me aware that I'm not an island. I have many "sisters" who are doing the same as I am and experiencing the same things I am. They are a source of friendship, support, comfort, and laughter. Every meeting I go to I learn something new about the business or the craft of writing.
I've been writing for a few years now, a minute amount of time in the scheme of things, and it's been a rocket ship straight up the learning curve. Gaining a publisher was a dream of mine. Accomplished that. Self-publishing was another challenge. I've done it, three times now. I enjoy straddling the fence of the publishing industry. I feel like I get the best of both worlds.
 
I know what you mean about those "sisters"-- I'm very lucky to have found some as well, and they're some of the most awesome people I know!
I love the premise for THE BOOK WAITRESS. Can you tell us more about what inspired the idea? What you want your readers to take away from the story?
I adore engaging in thinking about all the "what ifs" of the endless battle between Good and Evil. So I wondered what if, rather than angels or God appearing before us duing a near death experience, SATAN came. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it now. My readers know that whenever I write a story, no matter how dire, no matter how insidious evil is, the good remain sovereign by the end. So, too, in The Book Waitress. But this series is like a TV show on paper. The Book Waitress is a 13-episode show, so to speak. Thirteen novellas, grouped in threes for a full-length novel experience with extras, is what this series promises. I'm thrilled to be able to present it to everyone.
 
Very interesting approach! As you've said, THE BOOK WAITRESS is the first in a series. Is there anything you'd like us to know about the subsequent books?
The next two books have titles! Book #2 - Devil Du Jour Book#3- Demon A La Mode. I'm writing fiercely to get these great continuing stories written!
 
Sounds like you've planned ahead, too! Is there anything you've learned in your writing career that you wish you'd known sooner?
I think all things happen for a reason, so I knew what I knew when I should have. I've learned what I've needed to when I was ready. Things change rapidly in this business, so it's wise to keep up to speed on the ever-changing terrain.

You've definitely done a great job of keeping up! If you were stuck on a desert island, which five books would you take with you?
Empty Journal- to write in!
Nora Roberts- Irish Born Trilogy (I have it all in one book!)
Sherrilyn Kenyon- Acheron
Complete works of Shakespeare
A poetry book
 

Thanks, Deena! For those who want to sang a copy of THE BOOK WAITRESS, click on the link below:
 
 

2 comments:

Deena said...

Thank you so much for having me over at your place today. :) I am a closet librarian, and wish I could live in a library! LOL

The Writer Librarian said...

Closet librarians are the best! I suppose I'm a closet-writer. :)